General Discussion General discussion about all things car audio, from pioneer, orion, alpine and eclipse.

Alpine Type X or Focal Polyglass

Old 04-11-2006, 01:35 PM
  #1  
50 Watt CAFz'r
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 73
Alpine Type X or Focal Polyglass or Boston Acoustics FS60 or JL VR650

I'm looking to overhaul the sound system. I'm picking up a US Acoustic amp that outputs 85 RMS X 4. So, now I have sufficient power to drive components that I've always had my eyes on -> being the Focals and Alpine type X. I'm partial to the focals as they were the last speakers I've heard demo'ed and the mid bass was amazing. But, the tweeters weren't that great. The type x, I heard a couple of years ago, and they were really good from what I recall (tweets imo better than focals).

What would you peeps on the forum suggest?

EDIT: I did some research and came across Boston Acoustic FS60's and JL VR650. Anyone have any experience with any of these? If it helps, it listen to all types of music (mostly hip hop though). Looking for SQ and loudness.

Last edited by rtto5588; 04-12-2006 at 01:17 PM. Reason: New Items
rtto5588 is offline  
Old 04-11-2006, 10:08 PM
  #2  
4000 Watt CAFz'r
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 4,643
i like focals but i have not played the Alpine type X
zzzzzzz is offline  
Old 04-12-2006, 02:26 AM
  #3  
1000 Watt CAFz'r
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 1,120
Upgrade the tweets to the new Focal TN52's...they're sweet sounding and can be tuned with the waveguide they come with.
islandphile is offline  
Old 04-12-2006, 07:52 PM
  #4  
--SPECIAL ED--
 
stfo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2
Originally Posted by rtto5588
I'm looking to overhaul the sound system. I'm picking up a US Acoustic amp that outputs 85 RMS X 4. So, now I have sufficient power to drive components that I've always had my eyes on -> being the Focals and Alpine type X. I'm partial to the focals as they were the last speakers I've heard demo'ed and the mid bass was amazing. But, the tweeters weren't that great. The type x, I heard a couple of years ago, and they were really good from what I recall (tweets imo better than focals).

What would you peeps on the forum suggest?

EDIT: I did some research and came across Boston Acoustic FS60's and JL VR650. Anyone have any experience with any of these? If it helps, it listen to all types of music (mostly hip hop though). Looking for SQ and loudness.
Alpine is not even in the same league as Focal.. Dynaudio, MB Quart, DLS, are only a few that are up there with Focal.

Type X is Alpines top line, im almost sure you did not compair Focals top line to them. Which Focal componants were you compairing them to?
stfo is offline  
Old 04-12-2006, 08:09 PM
  #5  
50 Watt CAFz'r
iTrader: (1)
 
#1fatflyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 76
The type X's are absolutly amazing but if memory serves correct, dont' they only come with the Type X 10'' and 12 sub, and 6X9's ? <--those are the three type x products I've used, and I have nothing but good things to say about them!

andrew
#1fatflyguy is offline  
Old 04-12-2006, 10:38 PM
  #7  
1000 Watt CAFz'r
iTrader: (3)
 
SQ Civic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,185
Originally Posted by defro13
stfo, i was wondering if you knew who made the type x component mids and tweeters for alpine, or do they make them themselves
heh heh...

Mark
SQ Civic is offline  
Old 04-12-2006, 10:40 PM
  #8  
1000 Watt CAFz'r
iTrader: (3)
 
SQ Civic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,185
Originally Posted by #1fatflyguy
The type X's are absolutly amazing but if memory serves correct, dont' they only come with the Type X 10'' and 12 sub, and 6X9's ? <--those are the three type x products I've used, and I have nothing but good things to say about them!

andrew
they come in a variety of other sizes, as well as upgrade kits for the component sets to turn them into 3 way passive sets... from the experience I've had with them, I have nothing but good things to say... quality product for sure. especially for the price.

Mark
SQ Civic is offline  
Old 04-12-2006, 10:44 PM
  #9  
1000 Watt CAFz'r
iTrader: (3)
 
SQ Civic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,185
Originally Posted by stfo
Alpine is not even in the same league as Focal..
I think you are confused... the X's in question may not be the best sets out there, but you statement is horribly inaccurate...

stfo's introduction to F#1.......
http://www.alpinef1status.com/e/prod.../spx-z15m.html

Mark
SQ Civic is offline  
Old 04-12-2006, 10:54 PM
  #10  
4000 Watt CAFz'r
iTrader: (66)
 
MR2NR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,420
heh heh heh....
MR2NR is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Alpine Type X or Focal Polyglass


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.