General Discussion General discussion about all things car audio, from pioneer, orion, alpine and eclipse.

Grievance

Old 04-13-2006, 12:30 AM
  #1  
0 Watt CAFz'r
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 15
Angry Grievance

When properly used and installed what is the lifespan of a subwoofer(s)? I had JL Audios.
Nemesis is offline  
Old 04-13-2006, 01:01 AM
  #2  
1000 Watt CAFz'r
iTrader: (3)
 
SQ Civic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,185
Originally Posted by Nemesis
When properly used and installed what is the lifespan of a subwoofer(s)? I had JL Audios.
a subwoofer that isn't abused or over-driven should last a very very long time, depending on original quality.

Mark
SQ Civic is offline  
Old 04-13-2006, 01:06 AM
  #3  
4000 Watt CAFz'r
iTrader: (19)
 
2 8's AKA Jeepbeats's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 5,644
I had JL 10W0's for 6 years, then I hooked my buddy up with them, and they are still going strong, 5 years later.
2 8's AKA Jeepbeats is offline  
Old 04-13-2006, 01:54 AM
  #4  
0 Watt CAFz'r
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 15
re: grievance

yeah no . thanks guys. I figured they would cuz my parents have 15" house speakers that are about as old as I am. Their still running. My subs were 10" in a box that is encased. The subs are angled like a V. Anyways I completed my system 2 yrs ago and I've been running those subs for 7 years. They worked beautifully. So my 6 by 9s started rattling away and I can't take my car apart to get at them. I know their not blown. I keep my sh.. tight. I figure I needed an upgrade and get me some dyna-mat in there. Thus i take it back to the place that I got it from. You can really hear the rattle best when I play Bob Marley cuz it's more bass guitar and drums rather then subs. Unfortunately for me I didn't have any of that type of music on me. So here i was listening to Outcast Atliens which has alot of sub action. And the guy says *turn it up, pop the trunk. Also unfortunate for me I didn't have my remote for my deck so I was at helm. when he says *turn it down, I thought he was unhooking my subs which is fine. He says *k turn it up. I turn it up for the third time. I go to the back of my car he's got his arms inside my sub box then suddenly thwspt thwspt thwspt. Turn it down. *Is that what you're hearing? $Well buddy i hear that now, it wasn't like that before, what did u just do? (defensively) *I didn't do that. $Weeellllllll what just made it sound like that? Did my stereo suddenly blow the sub orrrr what? *Nope it's just age. Passive me. ok then if you say my RATTLE is a blown sub then change it. I want JL. *Don't got anything to fit this setup. Here buy this new setup. CH CHING. He assure's me out the door I don't need the Dyna-mat for my 6(9)'s. I go home......................HEY WAIT A SECOND..... .............. THAT GUY SABOTAGED MY SUBS. The RATTLE is still there he turned the bass waaaaaay down on the 6(9)'s. I keep it at 0, neutral. not -6.
Nemesis is offline  
Old 04-13-2006, 01:59 AM
  #5  
0 Watt CAFz'r
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 15
oh yeah my amp is ample (no pun intended) enough to run my two little 10 " subs. I know cuz my bother used to run competitions off of it on his stereo.
Nemesis is offline  
Old 04-13-2006, 01:59 AM
  #6  
1000 Watt CAFz'r
iTrader: (3)
 
SQ Civic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,185
whoa. slow down, and collect your thoughts... makes things much easier to read, and understand without all the $'s, and *'s everywhere.

Mark
SQ Civic is offline  
Old 04-13-2006, 02:27 AM
  #7  
0 Watt CAFz'r
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 15
re: grievance

Originally Posted by SQ Civic
whoa. slow down, and collect your thoughts... makes things much easier to read, and understand without all the $'s, and *'s everywhere.

Mark
Ha ha, I know that you miss your mind and everthing so I indicated * for what the dumb *** installer said and $ for what I said. I didn't want to keep starting new paragraphs. pretty much he had me crank it and turn it down 3 times before my subs said thwpt. What the hell was he doing.
Nemesis is offline  
Old 04-13-2006, 10:05 AM
  #8  
500 Watt CAFz'r
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 649
Originally Posted by Nemesis
yeah no . thanks guys. I figured they would cuz my parents have 15" house speakers that are about as old as I am. Their still running. My subs were 10" in a box that is encased. The subs are angled like a V. Anyways I completed my system 2 yrs ago and I've been running those subs for 7 years. They worked beautifully. So my 6 by 9s started rattling away and I can't take my car apart to get at them. I know their not blown. I keep my sh.. tight. I figure I needed an upgrade and get me some dyna-mat in there. Thus i take it back to the place that I got it from. You can really hear the rattle best when I play Bob Marley cuz it's more bass guitar and drums rather then subs. Unfortunately for me I didn't have any of that type of music on me. So here i was listening to Outcast Atliens which has alot of sub action. And the guy says *turn it up, pop the trunk. Also unfortunate for me I didn't have my remote for my deck so I was at helm. when he says *turn it down, I thought he was unhooking my subs which is fine. He says *k turn it up. I turn it up for the third time. I go to the back of my car he's got his arms inside my sub box then suddenly thwspt thwspt thwspt. Turn it down. *Is that what you're hearing? $Well buddy i hear that now, it wasn't like that before, what did u just do? (defensively) *I didn't do that. $Weeellllllll what just made it sound like that? Did my stereo suddenly blow the sub orrrr what? *Nope it's just age. Passive me. ok then if you say my RATTLE is a blown sub then change it. I want JL. *Don't got anything to fit this setup. Here buy this new setup. CH CHING. He assure's me out the door I don't need the Dyna-mat for my 6(9)'s. I go home......................HEY WAIT A SECOND..... .............. THAT GUY SABOTAGED MY SUBS. The RATTLE is still there he turned the bass waaaaaay down on the 6(9)'s. I keep it at 0, neutral. not -6.
nice rant! sounds like your gonna kill the guy
ShonBesharah is offline  
Old 04-13-2006, 08:49 PM
  #9  
0 Watt CAFz'r
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 15
Question re: my grievance

So does anybody have any ideas as to how someone could blow a set of subs by either sticking their arms into my sub box? or lets say theoretically could you blow your sub by turning the volume way up and suddenly reconnecting the power to the sub? What's the name of my box it's got two subs that are enclosed and are angled inside like a V?
Nemesis is offline  
Old 04-13-2006, 10:45 PM
  #10  
500 Watt CAFz'r
 
hofulstrof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 779
4th oder bandpass?
hofulstrof is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.