General Discussion General discussion about all things car audio, from pioneer, orion, alpine and eclipse.

Help with cross over set up.

Old 12-04-2008, 12:41 PM
  #1  
!!!!AWAITING CONFIRMATION!!!!!!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 152
Help with cross over set up.

My Alpine deck CDA-9811 has HPF & LPF. HPF controls 5.25" components and 6x9" two ways powered with 80W rms to each speaker. LPF controls 1 JBL 12" sub in sealed box with 400W rms.

Settings are Flat/80/120/160 for each filter. Should I set both at 80 or 120, or overlap LPF @ 120 & HPF @ 80?
Natban is offline  
Old 12-04-2008, 01:00 PM
  #2  
2000 Watt CAFz'r
iTrader: (11)
 
avidedtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,544
Set your HPF 80 and LPF any where between 80-120. Start at 80 and go up from there! If it sounds like the bass is pulling the music behind you drop it to 80 or less!

Good luck!
avidedtr is offline  
Old 12-22-2008, 01:50 PM
  #3  
0 Watt CAFz'r
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 17
I would

Start with the components. Play something with bass in it at the highest volume you're likely to listen to it and keep going lower until the bass isn't clean anymore. With 5 1/4s you generally don't want to go below 90 HZ or so. Once these are set go to the sub. Put it at the same spot. If you can tell where the sub frequencies are coming from while sitting in the driver's seat looking straight ahead, keep inching the Low pass lower until you can no longer tell where the sub is by listening.

Better to use the X-overs on the amps than the HU so you have the flexibility to get the best blend possible. Too much overlap on these crossovers can cause a frequency peak somewhere in the 60-100 HZ range that will make things very muddy and boomy if you play anything with a really dynamic bass to it. Most Ive ever overlapped is 5-10 hz to get the proper blend while keeping things clean in this frequency range. Experament with a
gap of 10-15 HZ too and see how that works, such as HPF at 120, LPF at 80.
eharri3 is offline  
Old 12-22-2008, 05:56 PM
  #4  
500 Watt CAFz'r
iTrader: (5)
 
420guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 975
Originally Posted by eharri3 View Post
Start with the components. Play something with bass in it at the highest volume you're likely to listen to it and keep going lower until the bass isn't clean anymore. With 5 1/4s you generally don't want to go below 90 HZ or so. Once these are set go to the sub. Put it at the same spot. If you can tell where the sub frequencies are coming from while sitting in the driver's seat looking straight ahead, keep inching the Low pass lower until you can no longer tell where the sub is by listening.

Better to use the X-overs on the amps than the HU so you have the flexibility to get the best blend possible. Too much overlap on these crossovers can cause a frequency peak somewhere in the 60-100 HZ range that will make things very muddy and boomy if you play anything with a really dynamic bass to it. Most Ive ever overlapped is 5-10 hz to get the proper blend while keeping things clean in this frequency range. Experament with a
gap of 10-15 HZ too and see how that works, such as HPF at 120, LPF at 80.

X2 ^^^ I just recently changed my settings and now the 6.5" components in my doors high pass at 100 then to passive xover, subs are low passed at 85. This way it sounds really clean and clear, and it does not seem like all bass is in the trunk. Previously I had subs crossed at 150, comps on full pass, and everything but the highs seemed to becoming from the back seat. I would also say to use the xover on the amps as well.

Last edited by 420guy; 12-22-2008 at 06:00 PM.
420guy is offline  
Old 12-22-2008, 06:37 PM
  #5  
1000 Watt CAFz'r
iTrader: (10)
 
Sasha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,418
Originally Posted by Natban View Post
My Alpine deck CDA-9811 has HPF & LPF. HPF controls 5.25" components and 6x9" two ways powered with 80W rms to each speaker. LPF controls 1 JBL 12" sub in sealed box with 400W rms.

Settings are Flat/80/120/160 for each filter. Should I set both at 80 or 120, or overlap LPF @ 120 & HPF @ 80?
Well chances are you have no slope adjustments on your amps. Check if your deck has them, and if so, you may get better results with deck xovers. If thats the case try setting HPF at 80hz with 12db slope, and LPF at 80hz with 24db slope. You can further play with slopes to get the sound you like, but this setting is pretty standard.

If you need to use amp xovers, check to see what the slopes are for each amp. Front stereo amp prolly has standard 12db slopes, but the sub mono amp may be either 12db or 24db. If xovers are variable, then cross around 80hz each if fronts are at 12db and sub stage is 24db, but if sub stage is 12db, you may want to set the LPF xover at around 70hz, so 10hz lower than HPF. Use either deck or amp xovers, do not use both at the same time, so when using amp xovers leave deck settings on flat, and vice versa, and if mono amp has no flat setting, than you can jack up the variable xover to the highest setting, when using deck xover.

Last edited by Sasha; 12-22-2008 at 06:46 PM.
Sasha is offline  
Old 12-22-2008, 06:48 PM
  #6  
1000 Watt CAFz'r
iTrader: (10)
 
Sasha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,418
Originally Posted by 420guy View Post
X2 ^^^ I just recently changed my settings and now the 6.5" components in my doors high pass at 100 then to passive xover, subs are low passed at 85. This way it sounds really clean and clear, and it does not seem like all bass is in the trunk. Previously I had subs crossed at 150, comps on full pass, and everything but the highs seemed to becoming from the back seat. I would also say to use the xover on the amps as well.
Wow, you used to have some really harendous settings before.
Sasha is offline  
Old 12-22-2008, 08:44 PM
  #7  
500 Watt CAFz'r
iTrader: (5)
 
420guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 975
Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
Wow, you used to have some really harendous settings before.
Yup I know just enough to be really dangerous at times. Fortunately only to myself and my gear. LOL Props to BigRedGuy again for showing me how to PROPERLY tune a system. It was also set like that as I was running the comps off deck power and had no midbass at all so was trying to compensate with the subs. Sounds absolutely beautiful now.
420guy is offline  
Old 12-22-2008, 11:06 PM
  #8  
50 Watt CAFz'r
 
Adnan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 207
i have the same deck....it doesnt have slopes
Adnan is offline  
Old 12-23-2008, 12:16 AM
  #9  
!!!!AWAITING CONFIRMATION!!!!!!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 152
Yeah, no slope on the deck or amps. I thought my set up was awsome but it seems to be missin all kinds of features. lol. Well it the fist time I've had any crossovers in my system and an amp on my comps & 6x9's. Anyways I've been using a JBL 1202D but I just picked up an Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1 today. The cold seems to be affecting my gear abit so I might wait a week or two before I make the switch and mess with the freq's on the new sub.
Natban is offline  
Old 12-23-2008, 12:28 AM
  #10  
!!!!AWAITING CONFIRMATION!!!!!!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 152
I swear I use a computer every day but how do I set up a signiture that shows up below my posts?
Natban is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help with cross over set up.


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.