General Discussion General discussion about all things car audio, from pioneer, orion, alpine and eclipse.

Try to identify my speaker brand.

Old 03-21-2010, 11:07 PM
  #1  
0 Watt CAFz'r
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 6
Try to identify my speaker brand.

Bought a 96 RS Integra not long ago. Prvious owner has completely replaced the audio system. The rear speakers has an logo of SD written on the cone. I know SD is Sound Dynamic in home audio and the brand has been dropped by the parent company. I am wondering if another other brand of speaker is using a similar logo.

The speaker is 6 or 6 1/2 depends on how you measure. The woofer cone is silver in colour, with the tweeter mounting in the middle as most car speakers.

Thanks.
Paul L is offline  
Old 03-21-2010, 11:09 PM
  #2  
1000 Watt CAFz'r
iTrader: (-1)
 
Menace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,153
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Bought a 96 RS Integra not long ago. Prvious owner has completely replaced the audio system. The rear speakers has an logo of SD written on the cone. I know SD is Sound Dynamic in home audio and the brand has been dropped by the parent company. I am wondering if another other brand of speaker is using a similar logo.

The speaker is 6 or 6 1/2 depends on how you measure. The woofer cone is silver in colour, with the tweeter mounting in the middle as most car speakers.

Thanks.
people are gonna bug you for a photo. Better get on it lol.
Menace is offline  
Old 03-21-2010, 11:16 PM
  #3  
500 Watt CAFz'r
 
lpchouinard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 819
SD like this?

lpchouinard is offline  
Old 03-21-2010, 11:18 PM
  #4  
MTA
2000 Watt CAFz'r
iTrader: (1)
 
MTA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 2,282
now thats an amazing guess!
im thinking you hit it
MTA is offline  
Old 03-22-2010, 12:02 AM
  #5  
0 Watt CAFz'r
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 13
That was just what I was thinking lol
Polish_Polak is offline  
Old 03-22-2010, 12:33 AM
  #6  
0 Watt CAFz'r
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 6
You folks are fast and amazing. Yes, that is what it looks like. What brand is it?

I have to admit that even though I am very familiar with home audio, I don't know much about car audio brands.

The reason that I like to know is because I want to find out the sensitive of the speakers so that I can match a pair of higher quality 6x9 in the trunk. I have the 6x9 box already.

Thanks again.
Paul L is offline  
Old 03-22-2010, 07:57 AM
  #8  
500 Watt CAFz'r
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 597
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
You folks are fast and amazing. Yes, that is what it looks like. What brand is it?

I have to admit that even though I am very familiar with home audio, I don't know much about car audio brands.

The reason that I like to know is because I want to find out the sensitive of the speakers so that I can match a pair of higher quality 6x9 in the trunk. I have the 6x9 box already.

Thanks again.
adding 6x9s in a small box wont do much for you. You are a home audio enthusiast! think stereo! you want good front speakers because that is where you get all of your soundstage from .. rears are for fill or for rear seat passengers... A small box will kill any bass that a 6x9 would have...

The alpine type S was very good when they changed in 2004-5 I dont know what model year that you have. Dont worry about matching sensitivity at this point. that is what a balance/fader control is for!
zoomer is offline  
Old 03-22-2010, 09:12 AM
  #9  
0 Watt CAFz'r
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 6
Originally Posted by zoomer View Post
adding 6x9s in a small box wont do much for you. You are a home audio enthusiast! think stereo! you want good front speakers because that is where you get all of your soundstage from .. rears are for fill or for rear seat passengers... A small box will kill any bass that a 6x9 would have...

The alpine type S was very good when they changed in 2004-5 I dont know what model year that you have. Dont worry about matching sensitivity at this point. that is what a balance/fader control is for!
Thanks Zoomer. I wish it is as simple as using the fader. The guy knows how to spend the money but mess up the wiring. It was messed up so bad that when I brought my car to install a command starter, the installer does not want to do it.

The car comes with a Alpine head unit 9855. I download the manual and it is a pretty decent unit. The Type-S that I saw is the back seat speakers. I have not open the front door speaker yet because it is too much trouble.

The Alpine itself does not do any amplification, it does not raise the attenna. It wired to a Craig external power amp that I cannot find any info. The wiring of 2 of the 4 channels that drive these rotted 6x9 speakers gave a lot of noise when press the gas padel so I disconnect this input. The other two channels wired to BOTH front and back speakers so the fader does not work.

I am inclined to wire the new (if doing it) 6 x9 to the same speaker output to increase the bass output without using a sub (unless I can get a decent power-sub with reasonable price). I don't need overpower bass, just decent with do.

I am looking into the MB Quart speakers. Any experience with that?

You seems to be a home audio folk as well since you mentioned soundstage!!! There isn't much soundstage to talk with in a car anyway so that is not the top priority.
Paul L is offline  
Old 03-22-2010, 09:50 AM
  #10  
--SPECIAL ED--
iTrader: (-1)
 
sunfired's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 452
Get rid of the craig amp, drive the speakers with the head unit instead, will likely sound better. Better amp to replace the craig would be a better option if you wanna spend some money tho.
MB speakers are pretty decent speakers, even there lower priced stuff sounds pretty good imo.
Sounds to me that you are driving 4 speakers off of 2 channels presently so your most likely running the amp at 2 ohms now so adding 2 more in the mix is not an option(amp wont do it) unless you use the other 2 channels but you say they are pooched sooooo. I say the best bet is to get yourself a better amp, alpine/pioneer/jbl/mtx,etc etc, any of these brands will be an upgrade. There is alot more options tho these are just examples.
sunfired is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Try to identify my speaker brand.


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.