General Discussion General discussion about all things car audio, from pioneer, orion, alpine and eclipse.

Adding Aftermarket HU but keeping OnStar

Old 10-08-2007, 10:48 PM
  #1  
4000 Watt CAFz'r
Thread Starter
 
Back-2-Bassiks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,939
Adding Aftermarket HU but keeping OnStar

I just bought a new Chev Silverado that has OnStar, I want to change the HU but will I be able to keep the OnStar abilities i.e. turning the stereo down when I hit my phone button, and giving me directions ect ect. Is it just as simple as getting a Receiver Interface Adapter?? I know Besy Buy told me it was $270 JUST for the damn Adapter...... they dont sell it by itself and so on a $350 HU they wanted $270 for the Adapter, $100 for the harness plus $150 for the mounting kit and labor. Like hell Im paying $500 to install a $350 HU. Any help would be great..
Back-2-Bassiks is offline  
Old 10-09-2007, 12:21 AM
  #2  
1000 Watt CAFz'r
iTrader: (1)
 
Tom.F.1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,217
270 is ok for best buy, 2 local shops told me 300 & 325, plus tax for the onstar interface. for the steering interface they told me 125 & 150.

So, i bought online from US, and installed myself. Paid 159.00 (list price) and 45.00 (on sale), shipping & customs came to about 100. so i saved about 200. Saved the 650 they told me for install (and did a better job) Part numbers below. i already had some of the install parts and wire from my old car.
Tom.F.1 is offline  
Old 10-09-2007, 02:27 PM
  #3  
Administrator
 
Dukk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 16,855
Talking

Originally Posted by Back-2-Bassiks View Post
I just bought a new Chev Silverado that has OnStar, I want to change the HU but will I be able to keep the OnStar abilities i.e. turning the stereo down when I hit my phone button, and giving me directions ect ect. Is it just as simple as getting a Receiver Interface Adapter?? I know Besy Buy told me it was $270 JUST for the damn Adapter...... they dont sell it by itself and so on a $350 HU they wanted $270 for the Adapter, $100 for the harness plus $150 for the mounting kit and labor. Like hell Im paying $500 to install a $350 HU. Any help would be great..


Soooo how you likin that Chebby now?
Dukk is offline  
Old 10-09-2007, 09:23 PM
  #4  
4000 Watt CAFz'r
Thread Starter
 
Back-2-Bassiks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,939
Whatever old timer

What site did you find that on Tom, toss me a PM if you can please.
Back-2-Bassiks is offline  
Old 10-10-2007, 10:07 PM
  #5  
50 Watt CAFz'r
 
extreme1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 146
Originally Posted by Back-2-Bassiks View Post
Whatever old timer

What site did you find that on Tom, toss me a PM if you can please.

HEY! chump.
extreme1 is offline  
Old 10-10-2007, 11:13 PM
  #6  
4000 Watt CAFz'r
Thread Starter
 
Back-2-Bassiks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,939
Hey Chump what?? This was before I had my little chat with you last night Furley relax
Back-2-Bassiks is offline  
Old 10-11-2007, 02:46 PM
  #7  
Administrator
 
Dukk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 16,855
Talking

Seem Logan 'forgets' who his friends are....

I say you 'forget' his deal there Shaughn..
Dukk is offline  
Old 10-11-2007, 08:21 PM
  #8  
50 Watt CAFz'r
 
extreme1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 146
Originally Posted by Dukk View Post
Seem Logan 'forgets' who his friends are....

I say you 'forget' his deal there Shaughn..

Indeed, double the price half the service now
extreme1 is offline  
Old 10-11-2007, 10:59 PM
  #9  
4000 Watt CAFz'r
Thread Starter
 
Back-2-Bassiks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,939
Originally Posted by extreme1 View Post
Indeed, double the price half the service now
Sounds like the deal I was getting anyways
Back-2-Bassiks is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Kaeser
Install related
1
08-11-2013 09:11 PM
gypsijoker
Install related
7
05-06-2008 09:43 AM
Lyle27
Install related
3
11-22-2006 08:16 AM
ZachCHartwell
Off-topic Chat
29
07-21-2005 07:46 AM
slow/n\low
General Discussion
3
10-03-2003 11:06 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Adding Aftermarket HU but keeping OnStar


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.