General Discussion General discussion about all things car audio, from pioneer, orion, alpine and eclipse.

Amp repairs... Suggestions?

Old 10-25-2012, 08:21 PM
  #1  
0 Watt CAFz'r
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 7
Amp repairs... Suggestions?

Have an amp I would like repaired... Any suggestions would be appreciated. I live in Richmond Hill. I also have a Jl 4 channel that is shutting down frequently and after turning the levels down it is gradually getting worse and shutting down at lower levels... Any ideas?
DefineSanity is offline  
Old 10-25-2012, 09:37 PM
  #2  
500 Watt CAFz'r
 
TragicMagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 723
I hope you find someone that can help you. I have an old Memphis 5 channel that needs repair on the front left channel. Not sure if its the input, or output. I haven't been able to locate anybody that can take a look at it.
I'm going to follow this thread, maybe I'll get pointed in the right direction too.
TragicMagic is offline  
Old 10-25-2012, 10:52 PM
  #3  
0 Watt CAFz'r
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 7
Hope so too
DefineSanity is offline  
Old 10-26-2012, 12:08 AM
  #4  
50 Watt CAFz'r
 
leagumdrops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 120
dbr electronics is the best place i know of but its in the USA
leagumdrops is offline  
Old 10-26-2012, 01:42 AM
  #5  
50 Watt CAFz'r
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 58
Originally Posted by DefineSanity View Post
Have an amp I would like repaired... Any suggestions would be appreciated. I live in Richmond Hill. I also have a Jl 4 channel that is shutting down frequently and after turning the levels down it is gradually getting worse and shutting down at lower levels... Any ideas?
There are 2 places that I know of that can help. In Brampton, small family owned business called Hi Tech Audio Video... They have repaired 3 amps for me all with different problems and for dirt cheap!! Good people over there.... Ask to speak to Rocky. Other place is closer to you called S&S Electronics if I remember correctly. They are an authorized repair shop for alot of the top names in car audio. Purchased from them and had a recone done on a woofer that belonged to a friend. Never had them fix an amp but i know they do it. You wont find anyone to touch that Jl amp. Not even the shops i listed. Trust me Ive tried...
G POUNDER is offline  
Old 10-26-2012, 09:04 PM
  #6  
0 Watt CAFz'r
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 7
So what to do with the jl if it becomes unusable?
DefineSanity is offline  
Old 10-27-2012, 02:30 AM
  #7  
50 Watt CAFz'r
 
leagumdrops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 120
if your running the channels @ 4ohm with good grounds and power then it needs to be fixed before it blow completely . either take it to a shop near you or mail it to one.
leagumdrops is offline  
Old 10-27-2012, 07:27 PM
  #8  
0 Watt CAFz'r
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 7
Went to Hightech audio and got Rocky to check my system. Found out the ground was loose and could be the shutdown reason. Tuned everything and hopefully it will be good. So far sounds good. Left the other amp for repair and he called me on my way home saying it was cooked. Service was good. A little posses the last shop left a ground loose and not properly done. That and the fact they told me the shutdown reason was the ohm load on the subs and I purchased another from them. Nothing wrong with them in the first place. So I will not be back there again. Thanks for the recommendations from here much appreciated.
DefineSanity is offline  
Old 10-28-2012, 09:11 AM
  #9  
50 Watt CAFz'r
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 58
Originally Posted by DefineSanity View Post
Went to Hightech audio and got Rocky to check my system. Found out the ground was loose and could be the shutdown reason. Tuned everything and hopefully it will be good. So far sounds good. Left the other amp for repair and he called me on my way home saying it was cooked. Service was good. A little posses the last shop left a ground loose and not properly done. That and the fact they told me the shutdown reason was the ohm load on the subs and I purchased another from them. Nothing wrong with them in the first place. So I will not be back there again. Thanks for the recommendations from here much appreciated.
Glad to hear you got your things worked out and that Hi-Tech was able to help. Were they reasonably priced for what u had done?
G POUNDER is offline  
Old 10-28-2012, 10:39 AM
  #10  
Administrator
 
Dukk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 16,855
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by DefineSanity View Post
So what to do with the jl if it becomes unusable?
Contact JL. They likely have a flat rate refurbish fee and will either direct you to a regional depot or deal with you directly.
Dukk is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Amp repairs... Suggestions?


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.