General Discussion General discussion about all things car audio, from pioneer, orion, alpine and eclipse.

Need Help on sub selection and Watts

Old 12-01-2006, 04:06 PM
  #1  
0 Watt CAFz'r
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 12
Need Help on sub selection and Watts

Well i have a Rockford mono amp putting out 200RMS at 2ohms.

I was wondering which sub would be more appropriate.. i listen to all sorts of music so the most balanced sub would be best.


Kicker CVR10 at 300RMS
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=015&sspagename=STRK%3AME WA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=250054140317&rd=1&rd=1

AUDIOBAHN AW102N at 450RMS
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=015&sspagename=STRK%3AME WA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=250055042905&rd=1&rd=1

ALPINE SWS-1042D at 300RMS
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=016&sspagename=STRK%3AME WA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=260059507429&rd=1&rd=1

I know my sub is suppose to have a higher rated RMS.. but is 450 too much?? if there are any subs you can recommend i'm open for options. I want to run one 10" at 2ohms.

As well another question.. If i purchase a 2 channel amp is it possible to run one channel to the sub and split the other channel to my front speakers? Or do i need to buy a 4 channel amp and bridge 2 to my sub and run 1 each to each speaker.

Thanks for all the input!
porsche22 is offline  
Old 12-02-2006, 09:06 AM
  #2  
2000 Watt CAFz'r
iTrader: (11)
 
BigRedGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 2,383
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by porsche22
Well i have a Rockford mono amp putting out 200RMS at 2ohms.

I was wondering which sub would be more appropriate.. i listen to all sorts of music so the most balanced sub would be best.
Personally I would stay away from the Audiobahn....having said that, any one of those drivers will work fine with your amp. Much more important is getting the right box with the driver. Spending a few extra $$ on the box will pay off better than a more expensive driver in a cheap box.


Originally Posted by porsche22
I know my sub is suppose to have a higher rated RMS.. but is 450 too much?? if there are any subs you can recommend i'm open for options. I want to run one 10" at 2ohms.

As well another question.. If i purchase a 2 channel amp is it possible to run one channel to the sub and split the other channel to my front speakers? Or do i need to buy a 4 channel amp and bridge 2 to my sub and run 1 each to each speaker.

Thanks for all the input!
A sub that can handle more power than your amp makes will be fine.....just be carefull not to set the amp up so that it starts to clip at higher volume levels....the distortion will kill the sub faster than anything else.

Since you already have the mono amp, use it for your sub and use the 2 channel to run your front speakers.

If this is your first time putting a system in your car, get some help doing it. If you ask around, there are lots of guys (and gals!) who would be happy to lend a hand, and your system will sound better and last longer if it's set up right from the start.....

HTH
BigRedGuy is offline  
Old 12-02-2006, 12:09 PM
  #3  
0 Watt CAFz'r
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 12
Right box?

Hey thanks for the reply... hwo do you determine the right box?? Right now i jus have a regular 10" sub box.. it's sealed and carpeted... it's not name brand or anything... looks like it's using 1" particle board. all the edges were epoxied as well...
porsche22 is offline  
Old 12-02-2006, 11:45 PM
  #4  
2000 Watt CAFz'r
iTrader: (11)
 
BigRedGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 2,383
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by porsche22
Hey thanks for the reply... hwo do you determine the right box?? Right now i jus have a regular 10" sub box.. it's sealed and carpeted... it's not name brand or anything... looks like it's using 1" particle board. all the edges were epoxied as well...
A "regular" box will give you "regular" sound.....

A good place to start is the driver specs....the specs for the Kicker CompVR 10" can be found here .

According to Kicker, the most output for that sub comes out of the 1.75cuft. ported box.....it's a nice coincidence that the amp power is the same as the power handling listed for the sub in that box.....

There are probably other people on the board with more experience than me with the Kicker Comps that may have a better design for you. Putting the driver in a custom box is the "right" way to do it......if you have access to a few basic tools and a couple of hours, it will be worth the effort.....
BigRedGuy is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
D4nnyD
Install related
3
07-30-2013 03:28 PM
radx95
Car Audio Technical Discussions
2
11-29-2012 09:21 AM
CareFace11
General Discussion
2
03-08-2011 12:55 PM
Tire Shredder
General Discussion
8
12-29-2006 05:19 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need Help on sub selection and Watts


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.