General SQ General discussion of Sound Quality related issues.

Alpine type s tweeter vs type r tweeter

Old 03-13-2011, 11:14 PM
  #1  
50 Watt CAFz'r
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 181
Alpine type s tweeter vs type r tweeter

Hey all. I am having trouble with my system right now. I just put in some Type s 6.5 components and i am happy with how the woofer sounds and how loud they go but the tweeter sounds like crap at about 3/4 volume. My stock tweeters didn't sound like that. I don't get it. If I were to take them back and exchange for the type r would the tweeter be better? I am running them on 50 rms.
Moley is offline  
Old 03-13-2011, 11:39 PM
  #2  
50 Watt CAFz'r
iTrader: (-1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 92
Ditch the KTP-445 and install a real 4 channel, as it's not known for being the best sounding (especially up high) or cleanest amplifier solution even though it's marketed as a 'Baby-PDX'....

I actually prefer the sound of the Type-S tweeter over the Type-R......but your taste may be different.
Allan74 is offline  
Old 03-14-2011, 12:17 AM
  #3  
50 Watt CAFz'r
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 181
Originally Posted by Allan74 View Post
Ditch the KTP-445 and install a real 4 channel, as it's not known for being the best sounding (especially up high) or cleanest amplifier solution even though it's marketed as a 'Baby-PDX'....

I actually prefer the sound of the Type-S tweeter over the Type-R......but your taste may be different.
I like the KTP-445 b/c it is hidden under my shifter housing. I don't have room for a bigger amp in my car. My stock components were not near as loud as the type s but the tweets never distorted at high volume like the s's do. Can you describe why you like the s tweeter better. I am thinking that the r tweeter will be a little less sensitive and it also has an adjusment on the x-over. I will listen to them at the store tommorow but that is never the same as when they are installed.
Moley is offline  
Old 03-14-2011, 10:42 AM
  #4  
500 Watt CAFz'r
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 968
How is your stock deck connected to your amp(s)? If you're using a typical LOC (without equalization to level the oem output) then there is good chance that's why you're getting the distortion at higher volume levels. Remember that your deck's output is being sent through an amplifier (built in to deck) that has built in eq/sound prcessing from the factory and also produces it's own distortion at higher output. When this distorted signal is then converted to low level rca signals the distortion is still there and will be amplified by whichever amp you use. Tweeters tend to be sensitive to this distortion and you can hear it easily. Some tweeters are more sensitive than others, and keep in mind that the oem system with their components were engineered with built in eq/processing to avoid distortion that may be audible. Once you start changing components the oem "system" is no longer in place and anything can happen. You may need a high end LOC (line out converter) like a JL clean sweep or similar to get the proper signal for your amps.
Denonite is offline  
Old 03-14-2011, 06:28 PM
  #5  
Yankee
 
JohnVroom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,599
In a fight I would say the S type would beat the R type due to its Brazilian Jujitsu, but do not underestimate the R types Kung Fu

something is distorting and your hearing it, figure out what is distorting and fix it (it could be the tweeters but I am betting it is upstream)
JohnVroom is offline  
Old 03-14-2011, 06:41 PM
  #6  
Level 3 Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 391
Try your KTP-445 on it's other gain setting. Is gain level is too high. Possibly distorting, or possible head unit distortion? Was that volume level clear with factory speaks and tweeds? IMO alpine KTP works best in high pass applications
Mr.DatSubishi is offline  
Old 03-14-2011, 06:58 PM
  #7  
50 Watt CAFz'r
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 181
Originally Posted by Denonite View Post
How is your stock deck connected to your amp(s)? If you're using a typical LOC (without equalization to level the oem output) then there is good chance that's why you're getting the distortion at higher volume levels. Remember that your deck's output is being sent through an amplifier (built in to deck) that has built in eq/sound prcessing from the factory and also produces it's own distortion at higher output. When this distorted signal is then converted to low level rca signals the distortion is still there and will be amplified by whichever amp you use. Tweeters tend to be sensitive to this distortion and you can hear it easily. Some tweeters are more sensitive than others, and keep in mind that the oem system with their components were engineered with built in eq/processing to avoid distortion that may be audible. Once you start changing components the oem "system" is no longer in place and anything can happen. You may need a high end LOC (line out converter) like a JL clean sweep or similar to get the proper signal for your amps.
I hard wired the KTP-445 to my stock headunit. ( who says you need to use an Alpine deck ) The KTP-445 doesn't even have low level in. I ran my stock speakers off it with no problem. I could crank it with no distortion. I replaced my stock rear speakers with Type S 6.5 coaxials and no distortion. They sound great. As soon as I changed my front speakers to the Type S components my stereo went to . I think the coaxials are good but the component tweeter sucks. I hooked up my stock tweeter with the Type S midbass driver and it sounded fine. I think the type S tweet is too sensitive. I am going to exchange them with the type R's. I hear that the type R's have a tweeter level adjustment. Hopefully that works.
Moley is offline  
Old 03-14-2011, 07:02 PM
  #8  
50 Watt CAFz'r
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 181
Originally Posted by Mr.DatSubishi View Post
Try your KTP-445 on it's other gain setting. Is gain level is too high. Possibly distorting, or possible head unit distortion? Was that volume level clear with factory speaks and tweeds? IMO alpine KTP works best in high pass applications
Stock speakers did not distort. The only thing that distorts is that damn type s tweeter. Way too sensitive I think. I tried turning the gain to the other lower setting and it does help a bit but I loose volume to my other speakers. That's not a trade off I am willing to make. New components for me!
Moley is offline  
Old 03-14-2011, 07:53 PM
  #9  
Level 3 Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 391
I'm sure you'll let us know how it works tomorrow. Also let me know if the typeR Xover has tweeter attenuation and what options it gives you. That 445 is gonna be just enough power to make typeRs sing. You may find the highs in the rear a little overpowering from those Ss. The Rs have a smoother bottom end though. Like a baybay
Mr.DatSubishi is offline  
Old 03-15-2011, 12:41 AM
  #10  
50 Watt CAFz'r
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 181
Originally Posted by Mr.DatSubishi View Post
I'm sure you'll let us know how it works tomorrow. Also let me know if the typeR Xover has tweeter attenuation and what options it gives you. That 445 is gonna be just enough power to make typeRs sing. You may find the highs in the rear a little overpowering from those Ss. The Rs have a smoother bottom end though. Like a baybay
So I went and listened to some different components. I heard kicker, jl and type r. I liked the sound of the jl's but they were a bit too expensive. I didn't like the kickers at all as they were way too high and tingy. The R's were the best bet and didn't sound far off from the jl's. I got em and can't wait to install them tommorow. I think/hope you are right about the amp that the 50 watts will run them good enough. I asked about the tweeter attenuation and the sales guy didn't have a clue. I read the manual and found this.

Just pop off the x-over cover and the settings are right there. The factory setting is 0 db. It has 6 options going below 0 db. I think this is an amazing feature especially in my case b/c I don't have much for an eq. I can set it lower if I feel the tweet is too harsh or gets distorted at high volume ( like the type s ) without it affecting the midrange speaker. I have a feeling it will sound best at -3 db. I would rather it be a dial but this is good enough. Just switch over the connector.


Last edited by Moley; 03-15-2011 at 12:46 AM.
Moley is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Alpine type s tweeter vs type r tweeter


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.