General Discussion General discussion about all things car audio, from pioneer, orion, alpine and eclipse.

lookin for a sub....requirements inside

Old 05-17-2006, 12:33 AM
  #1  
1000 Watt CAFz'r
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Hardcore Rock Superstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,807
lookin for a sub....requirements inside

Hey folks, buddy just picked up a new dodge dakota club cab and is lookin for a sub.

He just picked up a 9853 (05 model) and has a rockford mono amp that does 300rms @ 2ohms (power output in accordance with cea) or 390rms @ 2ohms according to rockford (dunno how they still have their own rating).


I'm try'n hard to get him to switch to a larger amp (maybe buy my concept for a sweet sweet deal 800rms @ 1ohm), but this has been enough for him in the past. Space is abit of an issue being that the cab isn't huge. there's a bench (60/40 split) that flips down in the back. So it'd likely end up being a single 10, or he was thinkin 2 8's. Could either go two kidna more shallow subs facing up, the bench closing down on top of them, or one sub kinda in the side on the 40% side of the bench (always flipped up) leaving only the 60% side usable.

Talkin to whatever local shop there in calgary, they've offered 2 s8l5's for $450 which...would be a lil under powered in the end, but i'm sure could work.

Not looking to be 100% spl or sq, just a nice split. Doesn't have to be wacky loud, but decent...sound good as well.

He'll still be running his mids/highs (coaxials) off the deck amp for now. Plans to upgrade it int he future, but 1 thing at a time here.


What are your guys's suggestions. Please include actual local pricing (not internet) for whatever you suggest as well. We're aware we can get 12" l7's on ebay for like $150...but, definitely prefer to buy local.
Hardcore Rock Superstar is offline  
Old 05-17-2006, 06:44 PM
  #2  
50 Watt CAFz'r
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 200
Pioneer/Premier has a new line of shallow subs that are actually pretty decent.


Retail on them is ~$199 for the 10" and I think $249 for the 12".

Some more info:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...564759,00.html
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...969808,00.html
Ex-Maxx is offline  
Old 05-17-2006, 07:03 PM
  #3  
2000 Watt CAFz'r
iTrader: (35)
 
Brad-S.A.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,195
There is also the Clarion PFW1051 which handle 300W rms 600 Peak and are only 3" deep. And those are $165.50 each And they seem pretty good aswell.
Brad-S.A. is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Dilatory
Car Audio Technical Discussions
9
03-02-2011 05:46 PM
TragicMagic
General SQ
55
11-26-2008 02:11 PM
Supra_RZ
Off-topic Chat
11
10-23-2007 03:00 AM
Hardcore Rock Superstar
General Discussion
13
01-21-2006 07:52 AM
Buffdaddy
Car Audio Forumz feedback and suggestions
24
12-01-2004 10:53 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: lookin for a sub....requirements inside


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.